Simple Jello Recipes with
Creating new jello recipes is my new addiction, without a doubt. When I was younger, jello was prescribed by pediatricians for kids who were sick, or had sore throats. So, naturally, it became associated with being a 'sick' food ~ as in why would you eat jello otherwise?
There are many things the older generations did ~ that I don't think even they fully comprehended just how smart or 'right' they were ~ and that modern science has now proven. Case in point ~ jello is the quintessentially most affordable and simple sweet treat to boost collagen in the diet ~ something that modern diets are lacking.
The jello recipes below are the simple, basic recipes you can find on unflavored gelatin packets, with my own little added twist. I add a packet of Pruvit fruity flavored exogenous ketones for an extra boost of nutrition and flavor.
Ketones have been shown to support DNA cellular repair, reduce inflammation, and improve many cognitive functions. The flavor boost takes the jello recipes over the top, however they are purely optional.
Jello is the ideal addition to our 'Meats & Sweets' ~ High Vitality Diet Plan.
|I hit the bullseye with this Apple Strawberry Jello Recipe with Heart Tart!
|Deeply intense Grape Jello with added grape-flavored, Purple Reign exogenous ketones.
Basic Jello Recipes
- 1/2 cup cold water or juice
- 1 - 2 packets unflavored gelatin, or 1 - 2 Tbsp. bulk Beef Gelatin
- 1 & 1/2 cups juice, heated to near boiling
- Honey, raw / organic sugar, stevia or other optional sweetener ~ about 1-2 tsp.
- Add cold water or juice to a glass or ceramic bowl
- Whisk in gelatin ~ this 'flowers' the gelatin
- Add heated juice ~ the heat is needed to fully dissolve the gelatin
- Whisk 1 minute to fully dissolve gelatin
- Add sweetener if using
- Let sit for 5 minutes
- Refrigerate to set
That is the basic jello recipe. Now that you see just how simple it is, try any of my simple jello recipes, or variations, below.
I've included links for ordering the bulk gelatin we order from Amazon ~ an affordable alternative from the more limited options available in most stores. Any purchases made through my links are greatly appreciated!
I also show a picture of a commercially available box of bulk (Kroger) unflavored gelatin which contains 32 individual packets that should be similar to what you can find at any local grocery store.
|Kroger unflavored gelatin packets, available at a local grocery store, + NOW brand bulk Beef Gelatin, which we will now be ordering in the 4# pack for greatest savings
|Pruvit exogenous ketones come in a variety of great flavors, including many special flavors randomly available
Grape & Fruit Juice Jello Recipes
- 1/2 cup cold water (or cold Concord grape juice)
- 1.5 - 2 Tbsp. bulk beef gelatin, or 1 - 2 unflavored gelatin packets
- 1 & 1/2 cups Concord grape juice, heated to near boiling
- 1+ packet Pruvit Purple Reign (grape flavored) Exogenous Ketones
- Additional sweetener, optional
- Add cold water (or juice) to a glass or ceramic bowl
- Whisk in gelatin, and let sit for one minute
- Add ketone packet if using
- Pour in heated juice and whisk well, one minute
- Do a taste test, and add sweetener if desired. I may add a drizzle of honey (about 1 tsp.) or 1 - 2 tsp. raw sugar, or a pinch of stevia.
- Let sit on counter for five minutes, then refrigerate.
Variations for Juice-Based Jello Recipes:
- Sub cherry juice for the Concord grape juice
- Add the juice of a lime to add some tartness
- Try any other of your favorite juices, such as peach or apricot nectar, mango, or others, however, fresh or frozen pineapple juice is not recommended
NOTE: The Pruvit Purple Reign Grape Flavored is a perfect match with the Concord Grape Juice, however, it is not always available. Many of their other flavors would also work, like Splash or Heart Tart (see below.) I may be able to sell individual packets while supplies last to those interested in trying rather than order an entire box. Contact me for details.
Strawberry Apple + Variations ~ Jello Recipes with Added Fruit
I like to use frozen fruit, that I have thawed in the fridge. Plan to get this ready the day before if possible. Place fruit in a bowl, rather than leave it in the pouch.
- 1/2 cup cold water (or cold apple juice)
- 2 Tbsp. bulk beef gelatin, or 2 unflavored gelatin packets
- 1 & 1/2 cups apple juice, heated to near boiling
- 1 packet Pruvit Heart Tart, optional but soooo good!
- Honey or sweetener to taste
- Frozen and thawed strawberries ~ 1/2 - 2/3 of a 12 - 16 oz. bag
- Pour cold water or juice in glass or ceramic bowl
- Whisk in gelatin, and let sit one minute
- Whisk in Heart Tart ketones, if using
- Pour in heated juice, and whisk one minute until well dissolved
- Sweeten as desired. Taste test. Add a bit of honey or sugar or pinch of stevia if you want it sweeter, whisking to combine
- Let sit five minutes, then stir in strawberries so you have one layer to cover the top
- Refrigerate until set
Variations for jello recipes with added fruit:
- Sub the juice of one lime for the Pruvit Heart Tart to add a little tart flavor, then sweeten if desired
- Sub peach or apricot nectar juice for the apple juice, and cut up fresh (peeled) peaches or apricots in lieu of frozen and thawed strawberries
- Sub mango or papaya juice for some or all of the apple juice, then sub frozen and thawed mango chunks for the strawberries
- Sub cherry juice for 1/2 to all of the apple juice, and sub 1 packet Pruvit Maui Punch for the Heart Tart, then add frozen and thawed pitted cherries in lieu of the strawberries
- Try any fruit juice + fruit combo that inspires you!
NOTE: If using ketones, they come in charged ~ which has the equivalent amount of caffeine as one cup of coffee ~ or caffeine-free. Shop for ketones, here. Watch a short video, here.
I like making two different jello recipes to have on hand. One that has a charged flavored ketone added, and one that has a caffeine-free flavored ketone. This way I can have a mid-day pick-me-up jello, or an evening dessert jello. Of course you wouldn't be eating an entire jello recipe at once...then again...these jello recipes are refreshing and delicious! The temptation could be there to eat more than you think!
Coconut Jello Recipe
- 1 & 1/2 cup cold coconut milk (I use canned coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp. bulk beef gelatin, or 2 unflavored gelatin packets
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup boiled water
- Juice of one lime (or optional 1/2 - 1 packet Pruvit Holy Grail, coconut lime flavored ketones)
- 2 tsp. honey or raw or organic sugar
- Pour cold coconut milk into a glass or ceramic bowl
- Vigorously whisk in gelatin
- Add lime, optional Holy Grail ketones, & honey or sugar, and whisk to combine
- Pour boiled water on top, and whisk another minute until gelatin is well dissolved
- Let sit for five minutes, then refrigerate until set
Variations to Coconut Jello Recipe:
- Add 1-2 Tbsp. finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- Add 2 Tbsp. juice from canned pineapple, then serve with pineapple rings, and a drizzle of honey on top
- Top with fresh, or frozen and thawed raspberries, as is, or sweetened with honey, and/or pureed
- I'm guessing this will be awesome with the updated Orange Dream Keto mix, which can also be made into a 'keto ice cream' ~ something that may fit quite well with our Meats & Sweets/High Vitality dietary approach. Stay tuned for future recipe updates!
According to Ray Peat, gelatin is a very important nutrient to be consuming. In his article, Fatigue, aging and recuperation, he writes:
"The "treatment" for intracellular fatigue consists of normalizing thyroid and steroid metabolism, and eating a diet including fruit juice, milk, some eggs or liver, and gelatin, assuring adequate calcium, potassium sodium, and magnesium, and using supplements of niacin-amide, aspirin, and carbon dioxide when necessary. Simply increasing carbon dioxide decreases lactic acid and ammonia, increases GABA (the sleep improving nerve inhibitor), and regulates mineral and water disposition."
This is just ONE of MANY articles in which Ray Peat discusses the many processes involved in improving nerve function, glandular health, vitality, metabolism, and more that you won't find in more mainstream outlets!
BOTTOM LINE: EAT MORE GELATIN! ORDER IN BULK, & SAVE MONEY!