Simple Healthy Snacks or Mini Meals - Grain, Gluten, Bean & Seed Free
Here are a healthy snacks or mini meals that can be enjoyed on our Meats & Sweets dietary approach, inspired in part by the work of Ray Peat. We strive to obtain adequate fructose from fruits and honey, and minimize starchy foods, especially beans, seeds, and grains.
Having quick, simple, healthy snacks, or mini meals, can make all the difference in sustaining a healthy diet.
|Extra lean sliced ham w/ 1 oz. grass-fed sharp cheddar cheese, and sliced cucumbers, celery, and radishes
|Savory Waldorf Salad w/ sliced 'extra lean' ham, celery, apple, walnuts & cheddar cheese, tossed with a little xvoo, salt, pepper & a squeeze of citrus ~ a great sweet,sour, savory, juicy, crunchy, & slightly salty blend.
Simple healthy snack or mini meal ideas
- Cottage cheese is a great base for a quick snack. Stir in raisins, chopped fresh fruit or canned diced pineapples, a dusting of cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey or stevia. Or, pair with more savory flavors, and chopped vegetables, like the Savory Waldorf Salad shown in the picture at the top right.
- Another easy healthy snack or mini meal is smoked turkey drumstick, often sold at supermarkets. Just slice, pack and go. It is really delicious, and tastes like a slightly less salty ham. Turkey meat is very nutritious with an excellent amino acid profile. The dark meat and skin is also high in minerals like zinc, iron and selenium.
- The smoked turkey can also be simmered with chopped onion, cabbage, zucchini & tomato or other vegetables for a delicious, quick low-carb mini meal. It's also good in omelettes, or bone broth with vegetables for a nice soup.
- If you don't have a lot of time to spend preparing meals on a daily basis, make a roast, or roast a big turkey breast. That way you have super quick, healthy snacks or mini meals to put together for a few days.
- Heat up some broth to have with your roast beef or turkey, and simply add the meat to the broth, or enjoy it on the side. Roast beef and turkey is often better cold the next day! Have with some grainy mustard or horseradish if desired.
|Smoked Turkey Leg, Veg Sticks, Orange & Cherries
|Deviled Eggs (basic recipe in text)
- Eggs are super nutrient-dense, easy to cook, and easy to pack. Have 1-2 hard boiled eggs with 1 oz. of cheese, or 50g of sliced meat like the extra lean ham or roast beef, chicken or turkey, and a few lettuce leaves, celery, cucumber, or other vegetable. Cut them up on a bed of lettuce if you prefer a salad.
- Make some deviled eggs! Boil eggs. Scoop out the egg yolk when cooled, and stir in 2+ Tbsp. avocado mayo or sour cream w/ horseradish & Dijon. Spoon back inside the egg white. Garnish w/ finely diced red onion, and paprika.
- Have an Eggnog. Especially great with Pruvit Keto Sweet Kreme, Vanilla Ski, or Swiss Cacao! Very refreshing sweet flavor.
More Healthy Snack or Quick Mini Meal Ideas
- Half to whole peeled apple with cheese, or carrot sticks
- Grated Carrot Salad
- Cucumber Salad w/ Tomato & Red Onion, tossed with xvoo, and topped with chopped sardines, tuna, or mackerel, and optional chopped olives
- Enjoy fresh or dried fruit to satisfaction ~ the ultimate simple and quick healthy snack! Create your own blends, like raisins, goji berries, and shredded unsweetened coconut, or cherries and cranberries. Trader Joe's is a good source. Be sure to purchase dried fruit without added oils and sorbate when able. (They have a dried cranberries with cranberry seed oil, and an oil-free dried cherries that I like.) Just Mango, sorbate-free dried plums, raisins, apple slices, cherries and organic unsulphured Turkish apricots are all great.
- Keep dried plums (prunes) soaking in water with a cinnamon stick. The water turns into a thick, sweet syrup. Have with yogurt or cottage cheese. Top with ground cinnamon, and optional honey.
>Return to Home Page >Healthy Snacks
Be sure to subscribe to be alerted for special offers, such as e-book give-aways, new recipes, and much more great content gets posted!